Overview of the Role:
The Lead Java Engineer is a software developer that is responsible for the overall technical leadership of a development squad.
On-boarding, mentoring and team engagement:
- Conduct interviews of new development team members.
- Coach and train new development team members.
- Focus on broadening the technical capabilities and understanding of their team members.
Coding standards and quality:
Hands on coder.
- Manage the delivery of technical solutions.
- Understand scope of software changes and educate stakeholders to the impact/risk of software updates.
- Manage technical debt whilst remaining pragmatic towards product changes.
- Manage the non-functional requirements (NFRs) and ensure that software changes deliver on the NFRs.
- Contribute to the evolving software architecture of the ResponseTap product.
- Ensure that the development effort reflects the architectural design.
- Co-ordination with multiple development teams and cross functional requirements.
- Ownership of technical dependencies between multiple development teams.
- Ensure that product requirements are well understood by the team.
- Ensure that technical delivery meets requirements of product team.
- Head of Development
- Head of Product
- Test Manager
- AWS Architect
- Development Squads
- Test Team
- Product Team
- Advanced experience in Java and the JVM. Spring and Spring Boot Framework desirable.
- Experience of agile software development – Scrum, Kanban, Lean principles
- Continuous integration/continuous delivery experience.
- Experience or appreciation of various types of software architecture – SOA, Microservices etc.
- Excellent understanding of Object Oriented (OO) principles.
- Experience or appreciation of static code analysis tooling.
- Passion for software quality and leading by example.
- Ability to recognise when team members require support with development.
- Pragmatic – able to balance risk, reward and delivery.
- Able to communicate with technical and non-technical audiences.
- Possess as a passion for learning new tech.